Contract: Full-time and permanent
Salary: £30,000 - £40,000 depending on experience, this may differ.
Our client is an innovative biotechnology company based outside of the centre of Cambridge. They have built an enzymatic platform to synthesise DNA, providing exciting possibilities for ensuring cheaper, faster and more accurate DNA / RNA / gene constructs than traditional plasmid-based methods. They also supportdrug discovery projects within the gene therapy sector using adeno-associated viruses (AAV). In a key phase of their growth, our client is looking to bring a Scientist into the team to support the AAV and cell biology section of the business. This role will require the successful candidate to have previous AAV expression experience within mammalian cell lines (HEK-293 etc)
This is an opportunity for a scientist who holds a BSc/MSc in a Biology focused role with at least one year of experience within AAV expression and production. This can be gained during your degree, or in industry. This role will involve the following:
- Development and optimisation of AAV vectors for use within gene therapy products.
- Production and purification of AAVs using mammalian cell culture systems (HEK 293).
- Being part of process improvement initiatives for AAV production.
- Laboratory analysis of the AAVs using SDS-PAGE, qPCR, flow cytometry, ELISA, gel electrophoresis etc.
- Recording of data and ensuring the data is up to date and reliable.
- Participate in team meetings and trainings as and when required.
- Support in other areas of the business as and when required.
- Following of laboratory and company SOPs.
Skills and Experience Needed
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- BSc / MSc / PhD in a biological / biotechnology discipline (essential)
- Extensive AAV production experience using HEK 293 cells (essential)
- Must be competent in various aspects of AAV production e.g. transfection, mammalian cell culture, AAV purification (essential)
- Strong experience in some laboratory analysis techniques such as ELISA, SDS-PAGE, western blotting, qPCR, flow cytometry (essential to be confident in the use of some of these)
- Prior experience in bacterial cloning (desired)
As an up-and-coming Cambridge Biotech, our client is able to offer a competitive salary, progression options and benefits package including private pension.
If you would like to apply to this opportunity, please send a copy of your CV to Charlie Cox at email@example.com – alternatively, please call Charlie on 07903 204577.