Fermentation Process Engineer / Scientist
Fermentation Process Engineer
Location – Manchester
Sector – Biotechnology
Salary – Competitive
Full time, permanent role
Our client is a rapidly expanding, innovative biotechnology company based in Manchester, working to produce biobased alternatives to fossil fuel-based chemicals. They are looking for a Fermentation Process Engineer to join their Research and Development team to develop and scale up their fermentation process as they move toward commercialisation of their products. This role is well suited to individuals with experience with the process development and scale up of fermentation involving yeast and/or bacteria who have a strong element of engineering within their background.
This position is suitable for individuals with prior fermentation and engineering experience, either in a commercial or academic setting, specifically working in process development and scale up. As a Fermentation Process Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Planning, conducting, and analysing bioreactor experiments, working specifically with yeasts and bacteria,
- Working alongside the team to develop and optimise processes to improve yields,
- Solving any engineering challenges that may arise quickly and effectively,
- Conducting both bench- and desk-based research,
- Scaling up to pilot plant and commercial plant processes,
- Working with existing technology as well as developing novel approaches.
Skills and Experience Needed
An ideal candidate will have:
- A Master’s or PhD (preferred) in biology, biotechnology, or a related field (ESSENTIAL),
- Multiple years’ experience with large scale bioreactor fermentation, ideally with process development experience (ESSENTIAL),
- Have proven experience in solving complex engineering / chemical engineering issues related to fermentation (ESSENTIAL),
- Strong experience in day-to-day laboratory operation, e.g. using equipment, aseptic techniques, preparing media/solutions,
- Knowledge on planning and executing the scale up of fermentation processes,
- Strong mathematical skills, specifically with respect to fermentation operation and scale up,
- Good understanding of the analysis and interpretation of fermentation data.
Our client is offering this opportunity on a full-time, permanent basis. The salary offered is competitive based on candidate experience, and with a competitive benefits package.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a copy of your CV to Charlie Cox to email@example.com